A blog is an essential online marketing tool these days. However, if you handle it poorly, it can backfire and damage your reputation. Here are some social media marketing tips to ensure your blogging is effective.
Blog Writing Tips for Blogging Success
- Write original content. Copy and pasting someone else’s content is a huge no-no. Not only is it illegal and unethical under copyright law and plagiarism rules, but the search engines are very adept at recognizing duplicate content and will penalize your site for it.
- Use quality, optimized images. Make sure they’re royalty free if you haven’t made them yourself or paid for them. Canva and PicMonkey are two popular image tools. Your images should have some visual appeal, something that catches the eye and draws a viewer’s attention to it. All images need to have alt tags and meta descriptions that contain the proper keywords. They also need to be sized properly for the target platform. For example, Pinterest favors taller images, while other sites favor wider images. You can use a plugin like WP Smush.It to reduce the load time of your images.
- Keep your content fresh. Posting only one a month or less won’t be often enough to get you the results you want. Google will rank your site lower if it sees the same stale content on there.
- Keep your target audience in mind. For example, a legal blog shouldn’t use lots of obscure Latin terms and legalese if it’s aimed at clients in the general public. Figure out how to match your tone to the style best suited to the readers you want to reach.
- Proofread. Use of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation is important for a professional image. Especially if you’re trying to market writing services, a missing comma an cost you a potential customer. However, even if you’re selling widgets, sloppy writing may convey an unprofessional, sloppy impression of your business to your audience.
- Provide interaction. Your posts should give the reader an opportunity to provide feedback. Popular plugins for reader interaction are comment boxes and social share buttons, but there are also other options. If you use a comment plugin, be aware that spammers can target these, so you should protect your site with an anti-spam plugin like Akismet or Captcha. You may be very surprised, and not in a good way, by the number of spam comments you’ll receive without a safeguard in place. Deleting hundreds or thousands of spam comments definitely isn’t one of the joys of blogging.
These are some basic content writing tips that are essential for bloggers on all topics. Of course, there’s more to optimizing your blog and engaging with readers, so stay tuned for my follow up posts on blogging. Do you have a favorite blog? One you want to pick on-even mine?