Your resume is the most important document you create. Resume writing can make or break your future career success. The job market today is highly competitive. Employees no longer get hired and count on staying with the same company until they retire, there’s more turnover than days past. When you’re looking for a new job, you’ll want to be submitting your resume to online job postings and job boards. Even if you use a staffing agency, recruiter, or job placement service, they’re going to put your resume in a database with a huge pool of others. It’s sink or swim, so here’s how to get your resume to rise to the top.
How to Write a Resume – Keys to Effective Resume Writing
- Don’t ignore SEO. Your resume not only has to get the employer’s interest these days. In order to even be seen by the employer, it has to pop up when the database you upload your resume to gets searched. The way to get seen is to have the right keywords included in the right areas. An SEO expert can perform keyword research tailored to your career goals, ensure that you’re using the best terms, and place them strategically. Very few resume writers are qualified to do this properly and don’t perform the work neeeded.
- Use proper spelling and grammar. This one’s obvious, but it bears repeating. One missing period or apostrophe is all it takes to blow your chances. Especially if you’re looking for a job that requires any type of writing, such as business letters, proposals, invoices, etc. It’s best to have it proofread by a professional writer.
- Format it attractively and make it eye-catching. Don’t go crazy, it needs to have a professional appearance. Keep the number of fonts and font sizes down and don’t overdo the graphics.
- Resume writing needs to use compelling language, without going overboard. Your experience and achievements need to be effectively presented in a way that best highlights your skills. You may not think you accomplished much in that minimum wage job you hated. However, with the right spin, you can powerfully describe your duties in a way that shows how your skills transfer to other types of jobs.
- Be succinct. Remember, the person looking at it has many others to look at and can’t spend all day reading them. Use bullet points properly to make it easy for the reader’s eye to scan the page and get the most important information quickly.
- Avoid resume writing services that don’t spend time interviewing you and want you to fill out a worksheet. Without a proper personal interview, you’re going to get a low quality, cookie-cutter resume based on a template. Most resume services that offer a $99 resume do high volume business and farm the work out to minimum wage contractors. They typically spend 20 minutes on each in order to produce a certain number each day. Your resume isn’t one of the items to try to save money on. A poor one is a total waste of money if it gets no responses.
If you want a professional to handle the work for you, contact Altman Media at email@example.com today for a free consultation. Altman Media is the only online professional resume writing service to offer thorough keyword research for an SEO-optimized resume that gets to the top of the employer’s search results. Our low cost service includes a personal phone interview. No contractors are used for our services. You will get an attractive, professionally formatted resume that’s written by a professional copywriter. Altman Media is happy to help you market yourself in the most effective way possible and get ahead of the competition.